Thursday, March 24, 2011

Japan and Jesus

Today I actually caught something on Christian TV that totally blew me away...in a positive way.  I usually avoid religious programming due to my aversion to some of the bad doctrine and outright Scripture twisting that occurs. 

I happened upon a show featuring Franklin Graham, whom I greatly admire.   This broadcast originated from Osaka, Japan.  My immediate thought was that he must be addressing the current crisis engulfing the nation.  However, after a few moments I realized that the recording of this particular episode occurred prior to the earthquake. 

I discovered the show in the middle of the broadcast...as they were interviewing a Japanese lady.  The first thing she said was that she rarely meets fellow Christians in Japan...that 99% of the population is non-Christian.  She was extremely excited because of an upcoming "festival", which included Gospel music and a Franklin Graham crusade.  Her excitement bubbled over as she expressed great hope that her husband would soon come to Christ.  He informed her that he would shut down his restaurant during the festival, in order to attend the festival with her. 

The next portion of the show featured parts of the actual crusade.  Franklin presented the simple message of the Gospel...everyone is a sinner and that Jesus Christ provided a way out of our sinful state through repentance and acceptance of His salvation.  Graham made it clear, every one of them could freely come to their Heavenly Father for forgiveness and salvation.  Out of the 30,000 in attendance, nearly 2,000 came up that night for salvation.

As I watched the scene...one similar to scenes I had witnessed many times on Billy Graham television crusades...my heart ran in two opposite directions.  On the one hand, I wept for joy when I saw the look of transformation upon the faces of those who had accepted Christ.  Having lived in Japan, I remembered how empty and dry their spiritual lives were...they were consumed with work, education, and living in a tight-knit culture....very organized, very polite, very "religious", but obviously sad in many ways.  Having lived in Japan for about 4 years, I can attest to the spiritual malaise that covers that island nation.  I loved living in Japan...it was fun and so very different, but I always felt that tinge of sadness and emptiness.  The other emotion that threw me into a tail-spin while watching the show was a deep sadness...and conviction.  "Where is our heart?"  I asked myself, thinking about how our churches seem to have lost that burning, driving, relentless passion for the lost. 

Something's amiss in our churches...very amiss.  I don't say this to gripe or complain.  It is an observation that disturbs me.  The church is obviously made up of individuals...you and me.  Where is our heart for those who don't know Jesus?  I am positive that He still longs for the lost sheep come home to the Father.  My only explanation for our less than passionate concern for souls is that we have strayed...our relationship with the Father must be waning...our love for Him weakend by the distractions and difficulties of life. 

The challenge for us is the same one all of God's children have always faced...we must renew our love for Him each day...fresh and new.  As we practice this and feed on His word, His Spirit will drop hints of His heart into ours.  Sometimes He will drop more than hints...He will drive us to our knees. 

I pray that I continue to have a broken heart...that it bothers me and causes me to seek God...to do whatever it takes to gain His heart for lost people.  My prayer is that I would be unrelenting in my quest for God and, consequently, for the things that drive His passion. 

What about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment